GET RID OF YOUR STUFF
It is difficult to know exactly what to pack when moving to the UK, but let’s start with what you need vs. what you like. Unless you are really attached to your furniture, get rid of it. It would cost a ton either to store it at home or to ship it over with you. Use this as a chance to purge and live a more minimalist lifestyle. Sell your belongings on Craigslist, have a garage sale, or just donate your things to Goodwill; it will be nice to have the extra cash to help with moving. Speaking of selling things, selling your car is not a bad idea if you’ll be out of your home country for a few years and serves as a great cushion for emergencies or savings.
WHAT TO BRING
Aside from the obvious, here are a few items that would be useful to have with you in the UK.
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Personal items that will make your place feel like a home
- Travel adapters
- Waterproof coat and boots
- Important personal documents
- Ranch Dressing (we have yet to find any)
- Tums (Antacids are not as prevalent over here)
WHAT NOT TO BRING
- Any and all electronics with the exception of your laptop
- Furniture (many flats to rent are furnished anyway)
- Cell phones (unless it’s an unlocked GSN phone)
- Too much stuff
Yes, everything is usually more expensive in the UK, but so are shipping costs. If you’re not using it now, you shouldn’t be bringing it with you. Reevaluate the things you wear and the things you use and only bring what is necessary. Most things can be easily and cheaply replaced for a short period of time.